The Dangers of Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs): Why a Low EMF Infrared Sauna is Important
By Jenna Greenfield, M.D.
- A truly low EMF infrared sauna is so important. The high electric and magnetic fields of other company's infrared saunas make them less effective by increasing the harm being caused by your present toxic burden, and reducing your body's antioxidant resources.
- There are 3 kinds of EMF and they all affect health by flooding brain and heart cells with calcium ions.
- Those calcium ions cause disfunction in the brain by altering release of neurotransmitters and hormones. That disfunction can manifest as sleep disturbances, headaches, depression, anxiety, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, memory changes, and numbness/tingling.
- Excess calcium ions in heart and brain cells also cause disfunction by producing oxidative damage. That oxidative stress worsens the harm being caused by your current toxic burden, reduces your body's ability to excrete toxins, promotes cellular aging, and damages DNA.
- Studies have shown EMFs have biological effects on cells at magnetic fields as low as 2 - 3 mG, and electric fields below 300 V/m. While inside a typical sauna, one without our patented EMF mitigation, you may be exposed to levels as high as 150mG and 2000 - 3000 V/m.
- High Tech Health makes one of the only truly low EMF infrared saunas on the market: low in BOTH magnetic and electric fields.
There is increasing evidence in recent years of the harmful effects of electric and magnetic fields (EMF). This is of particular concern when purchasing an infrared sauna, because most infrared saunas expose you to extremely high EMFs. This is because you are surrounded by high power heaters that in a regular infrared sauna would be your highest EMF exposure in daily life. With High Tech Health patented infrared heater technology and our unsurpassed engineering expertise, our saunas become far more than a "low EMF infrared sauna", they become an almost non-existent source of EMF.
EMF exposure has long been known to cause neuropsychiatric symptoms including difficulty sleeping, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating. Recent research has shown other potentially more dangerous effects of EMF exposure including oxidative damage and premature aging of our cells, and DNA breakage and even cancer. High Tech Health is the only infrared sauna company able to produce a truly low EMF infrared sauna, due to patented triple anti-field infrared heaters, and comprehensive EMF mitigation of the internal wiring. Almost every other company that advertises a "low EMF infrared sauna" have magnetic field mitigation only, and still have extremely high electric fields. These companies completely fail to address the electric fields on their website or EMF reports, an equally important component of EMFs. Read about the three components of EMFs here, and read about our triple anti-field heaters here.
Mechanism of Biological Effect
In the past, skeptics argued that the EMF from electronics had no mechanism to cause biological effects because it is “non-ionizing” (below the frequency known to directly break molecular bonds). However, numerous studies have since proven the direct biological effects on cells exposed to low frequency EMFs, and have identified a mechanism (1,6-9,15,16). When exposed to EMFs, cells show an almost immediate increase in intracellular calcium (6,8). The effects of EMF exposure are blocked when these cells are treated with calcium channel blockers such as verapamil (6,9). Numerous other studies have confirmed the role of calcium in the cell response to EMF. It is likely that these EMFs are directly activating the voltage gated calcium channels (VGCCs) in our cell membranes. It is more evident now than ever the importance of a truly low emf infrared sauna.
Disfunction at the Cellular Level
Voltage gated calcium channels (VGCC) are present in the highest concentrations on neurons, neuroendocrine cells, and muscle cells, including smooth muscle and cardiac muscle. Tissue changes seen in mice after exposure to EMF mirror this distribution, with the greatest changes seen in the central nervous system, heart, and testes (10). Calcium is an important signaling molecule in neurons and neuroendocrine cells (hormone releasing cells). Increases in calcium signal the cell to release neurotransmitters or hormones. Aberrant activation of VGCCs causes disordered neural signaling, with an initial increase in neurotransmitter release, followed by decreased synaptic transmission as cells down-regulate receptors and synapses. Tissues studied from rats exposed to high levels of EMFs showed smaller than normal nerve cells, with damage especially to the synapses (10).
Influx of Calcium Causes Neurotransmitter Release
Resulting Neuropsychiatric Symptoms
Neuropsychiatric symptoms associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields have been recognized since the 1950s-1960s. A 1972 report from the Naval Medical Research Institute, citing over 2300 studies, documented 40 neuropsychiatric symptoms associated with occupational exposure to microwave/radiofrequency EMFs (1,2). A second large report from NASA in 1981 reported 19 similar symptoms, and also found exposure to EMFs to be associated with EEG changes (3). By the 1990s these symptoms were referred to as “microwave syndrome,” most commonly described to include sleep disturbances, headaches, depression, anxiety, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, memory changes, nausea, and numbness/tingling (1,4-5). Since then, especially with concern related to the now widespread use of cellular phones, there have been numerous studies confirming and expanding on these symptoms (1, 14-17, 24). A large cross sectional study compared inhabitants living near a mobile phone base with controls and found that those living near the EMF had significantly higher rates of headaches, memory changes, sleep disturbances, tremors, dizziness, and depressive symptoms (24). These are symptoms that a low EMF infrared sauna can help with tremendously, but high levels of EMF will take away from the benefits of the infrared.
Resulting Oxidative Damage
Calcium acts as a signaling molecule in our cells, activating enzymes and molecular pathways that lead to an increase in nitric oxide, which then combines with superoxide to form peroxynitrite. Peroxynitrite acts as a free radical, and also leads to the formation of other free radicals which increase oxidative stress in the cell. (6,7,10-12) Oxidative stress directly damages the structural molecules of the cell, such as the cell membrane and proteins, and even causes DNA strand breakage. Oxidative stress, and the accumulation of damaged proteins, is known to be at least one factor in cell aging and the development of age-related disease. Oxidative damage is implicated in the development of atherosclerosis, neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer. When investing in an infrared sauna to improve your health, the last thing you want is a product that will cause this type of cellular damage.
Oxidative Stress is a Potential Cause of Cancer
DNA strand breakage is a known result of oxidative stress and cell aging, and is known to be a potential cause of cancer, as the genes that regulate the cells growth and cycle are damaged. Many epidemiologic studies have looked at associations between EMF exposure and cancer, and numerous studies have found an association between EMF exposure and increases in childhood leukemia, lymphomas, many types of brain cancers including glioma, schwannoma and medulloblastoma, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, and others (13-15). Animal studies have shown significantly higher rates of cancers in rats exposed to EMF, when also exposed to other known carcinogens, such as gamma rays or benzene (13,14). Thus, it seems that EMF can act as a carcinogen in itself, as well as making other known carcinogens more carcinogenic. In 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) categorized RF EMF as a “possible” (level 2B) human carcinogen (13,14). However, many scientists would like to see it categorized even higher than this, given the growing evidence.
Inadequate Government Regulation ofEMF and "Low EMF" Infrared Saunas
Given the growing evidence of the harmful effects of EMFs, there has been an urgent call from scientists to government regulatory agencies to enact appropriate safety guidelines limiting public exposure to these harmful fields (13,15,16). There have been a number of petitions in recent years drafted and signed by dozens of scientists urging government bodies to alter their recommended maximum exposure levels. Recently 206 International scientists signed a statement sent to the United Nations Secretary General and member states, saying the international safety guidelines are inadequate (16). As with many things in history that are now known and widely accepted to be harmful, the official government regulations lag behind the scientific evidence of harm. There is currently no requirement that an infrared sauna company produces a low EMF infrared sauna.
Thresholds for Biological Effects
In vitro studies have shown increased gene transcription in some oncogenes (cancer causing genes) and in genes associated with growth and development after exposure to just 8mG (0.8 uT) (18), and animal studies have shown oxidative stress in the spleen and testes of male guinea pigs after exposure to electric field as low as 300 V/m (19,20). Epidemiologic studies have found a significant increase in leukemia in children living near high power lines and chronically exposed to EMF in the range of just 4 mG (0.4 uT) (23). Magnetic field EMFs at just 2 - 3 mG (0.2 - 0.3 uT) were shown to alter the rate of Na/K-ATPase, the pump that creates the electrical gradient across cell membranes required for nerve conduction and other cell functions (25). In comparison, while sitting inside a typical infrared sauna with carbon-based heaters, you are exposed to EMFs of up to 150 mG magnetic field and 2000 - 3000 V/m electric field.
Electric Fields: < 300 V/m
Magnetic Fields: 2 - 3 mG (0.2 - 0.3 uT)
A Low EMF Infrared Sauna is Essential for the Full Health Benefits
Nearly all other infrared saunas have extremely high electric fields, extremely high magnetic fields, or both, due to their design of heaters and wiring. Most sauna companies use carbon-based heaters. These are very inefficient, so they use more power than necessary, and they must cover the majority of the interior walls in order to sufficiently heat the sauna. That need for higher power, the large area they cover, combined with your proximity to them while in the sauna, result in extremely high EMF exposure. Since EMF can act to make carcinogens more carcinogenic (see above), it is reasonable to conclude that typical infrared saunas have the potential to worsen the impact of a person's existing toxic burden, as well as work against such a sauna's ability to support the body's detoxification pathways. However, High Tech Health saunas feature a comprehensive mitigation of EMF in the wiring and patented triple antifield infrared heaters. They are the only heaters that block all types of EMF, so that while in our saunas you are exposed to virtually no added EMF, with EMF levels not significantly higher (typically lower) than ambient levels in the home. We have had a third-party EMF engineering company confirm this by finding and measuring the maximum EMF levels found at the surface of our heaters. We guarantee a truly low EMF infrared sauna. Click here to see their report.
High Tech Health Transcend® Truly Low EMF Infrared Sauna
High Tech Health Transcend® Infrared Saunas are the only truly low EMF infrared sauna on the market, with the lowest total electric fields and lowest total magnetic fields of any infrared sauna. In fact, they are one of the lowest sources of EMF exposure in the home. Click here to read more about our far infrared sauna.
Call now to speak with a Product Expert!
- Pall, ML, Microwave frequency electromagnetic fields (EMFs) produce widespread neuropsychiatric effects including depression.J Chem Neuroanat.2016 Sep;75(Pt B):43-5
- Glaser, Zorach R, Bibliography of Reported Biological Phenomena ('Effects') and Clinical Manifestations Attributed to Microwave and Radio-Frequency Radiation, Naval Medical Research Institute, Bethesda MD, 20 Apr 1972
- Raines, JK. Electromagnetic field interaction with the human body: observed effects and theories.National Aeronautics and Space Administration, NASA 1981
- Hocking,Microwave sickness: a reappraisal. Occup. Med., 51 (2001), pp. 66-69
- G. Johnson Liakouris, Radiofrequency (RF) sickness in the Lilienfeld study: an effect of modulated microwaves?Arch. Environ. Health, 53 (1998), pp. 226-228
- Pall ML, Electromagnetic fields act via activation of voltage-gated calcium channels to produce beneficial or adverse effects, Cell. Mol. Med., 17 (2013), pp. 958-965
- Walleczek J, Electromagnetic field effects on cells of the immune system: the role of calcium signaling. FASEB J, 1992; 6: 3177-85
- Pilla AA, Electromagnetic fields instantaneously modulate nitric oxide signaling in challenged biological systems. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 2012; 426:330-3
- Papatheofanis FJ, Use of calcium channel antagonists as magnetoprotective agents. Radiation Research. 1990; 122: 24-8
- Tolgskaya MS, Gordon ZV, Pathologic effects of radiowaves. Consultants Bureau, New York/ London, 1973
- Consales C, Merla C, Marino C, et al. Electromagnetic fields, oxidative stress, and neurodegeneration.I J of Cell Bio, 2012; 2012: 683897.
- Erdal N, Gurgul S, Tamer L, et al.Effects of long term exposure of extremely low frequency magnetic field on oxidative/nitrosative stress in rat liver. J Radiation Research. 2008; 49: 181-7
- Hardell L, Carlberg M, Comments on the US National Toxicology Program technical reports on toxicology and carcinogenesis study in rats exposed to whole-body radiofrequency radiation at 900 MHz and in mice exposed to whole-body radiofrequency radiation at 1,900 MHz. Int J Oncol.2019 Jan;54(1):111-127
- Miller AB, Sears ME, Morgan LL, et al. Risks to Health and Well-Being From Radio-Frequency Radiation Emitted by Cell Phones and Other Wireless Devices. Front Public Health. 2019;7:223.
- Pall, ML, Scientific evidence contradicts findings and assumptions of Canadian Safety Panel 6: microwaves act through voltage-gated calcium channel activation to induce biological impacts at non-thermal levels, supporting a paradigm shift for microwave/lower frequency electromagnetic field action,Rev Environ Health2015; 30 (2): 99-116
- Pall, ML, How to Approach the Challenge of Minimizing Non-Thermal Health Effects of Microwave Radiation from Electrical Devices. IJIREM2015; 2(2)
- Saliev, T et al, Biologic effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields: Two sides of a coin. Progress in Biophysics and Mol Biology 2019; 141: 25-36
- Goodman R, Blank M, et al,Induction of micronuclei and superoxide production in neuroblastoma and glioma cell lines exposed to weak 50Hz magnetic fields, Bioelectrochem and Bioenergetics 1994 33 (2) 115-120
- Petri, A, et al, Biologic effects of exposure to static electric fields in humans and vertebrates: a systematic review.Environmental Health2017; 16:41
- Guler G, Hardalac F, Aricioglu A. Examination of electric field effects on tissues by using back propagation neural network. J Med Syst. 2005;29(6): 679–708.
- Blank, M, Cell biology and EMF safety standards. Electromagnetic Bio and Med 2014; 34;4
- Goodman R, Blank M,Magnetic field stress induces expression of hsp 70Cell Stress Chaperones. 1998 Jun; 3(2): 79–88
- Ahlbom C, et al, ICNIRP, Review of the epidemiologic literature on EMF and health. Environ Health Perspect2001; 109:6:911-33
- Abdel-Rassoul G, El-Fateh OA, et al, Neurobehavioral effects among inhabitants around mobile phone base stations, Neurotoxicology. 2007 Mar; 28(2):434-40
- Blank M, Soo L, The threshold for Na,K-ATPase stimulation by electromagnetic fields. Bioelectrochem and Bioenergetics, 1996, 40: 63-65